Prison Island Boat Trip
Time Duration: 09:00 – 12:00 or 14:00 – 17:00 (time flexible)
- We have to take the boat from stone town to prison Island
- You have the opportunity to feed and pet the tortoises
- Visit Lloyd Mathew’s Architecture
- Diving & Snorkeling
Prison Island also known as the Changuu Island lies about 30 minutes by boat from the Zanzibar island. The prison thereon was never used to house prisoners. The Prison Island (Zanzibar) will take you there. The island was once used by an Arab slave trader to contain the more troublesome slaves he had brought from the African mainland to prevent their escape before shipping them to the Arabian purchasers, or for auctioning in Zanzibar Island market. The slaves were dumped on the island. It is a home to giant land tortoises that were imported from Seychelles in the late 19th century. Now it is more commonly known as a home of Zanzibar’s Giant Aldabran Tortoise colony, some of which are over a hundred years old! This endangered species came to Zanzibar as a gift from the government of the Seychelles.
Once on the island, you have the opportunity to feed and pet the tortoises, if you have time you may also like to take a stroll through the forested interior where you will see a wide variety of birds, colorful peacocks, bats, and beautiful butterflies. Keep your eyes peeled too for the shy and elusive Duikers – an unusual tiny antelope species.It is fringed with a beautiful coral reef, ideal for snorkeling, and has a lovely white beach for sunbathing. This tour is a great way to see some history and wildlife, and also to see Stone Town from the sea as many old maritime legends would have done. Visit Lloyd Mathew’s Architecture In 1893, Lloyd Mathews built the prison. The prison idea was to send violent criminals from the Tanganyika mainland to the Prison Island. The Prison Island ended up being used as a quarantine center, instead of a prison, for yellow fever epidemics that once raged through the region. Prison Island remained in the ownership of the government which converted the newer quarantine buildings into a guest house.
- Entrances fees
- Pick up and drop off from your Hotel
- Snorkeling gear (life jacket, mask & flippers)
- Boat charter
- Transport waiting charge
- Experienced Professional Tour guide
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- Medical Insurance
- Local & International Flights
- Airport Taxes
- Expenses of a personal nature
No of people: ( 1Pax 80 ) ( 2Pax 50 ) ( 3Pax 40 ) ( 4Pax + more 30 )
- Note: The This Price including transfer from Stone town hotels, and from any beach hotel in Zanzibar .
- Children 1 – 3 yrs are free of chage,4-13 yrs pay 50% of the adult rate.